Monday, March 27, 2017

Tot School!

Now that we are FINALLY settled (ish) into our new Indiana home, I feel like I can really buckle down and get Skylar started on Tot School!

What is Tot School exactly? To me, based on the research I've done, and what I already know, it's pre-preschool, at home.  "School" is a very loose term. She is only 14 months old, so there won't be much reading, writing, or arithmetic. (Well, there will be a lot of reading!). Basically, it's structured activities, disguised as play time, that foster learning.

Why Tot School? She's still so young! Honestly, I've kind of always had a homeschool pipe dream.  I'm fascinated by homeschool, and really would like to try it. At least for a little while, to see how she does, and if it's even something the 2 of us (and her sister in the future!), can handle.  Also, we are in desperate need of some structured activities during the times we aren't going somewhere.  Just hanging out, watching tv, isn't really my style, and Sky seems to get bored, (read: in trouble), when she doesn't have something specific to do. It helps pass the time during these long days of staying home.  (See previous post). Plus, she just might learn something!

How are we going to do this?  I have been working hard the last month to plan out activities, mostly during nap time.  (Pinterest is an AMAZING tool for ideas.) Our new house has the perfect spot for setting things up, so this weekend I set up the shelf, and a table with a play mat underneath.  The actual activities are theme based, but that's mostly for me to stay organized.  I think she may be too young to actually pick up on the fact that there's a theme going on each week, but it helps me to plan if I have a theme.  The activities are very simple, play-based, fun things for Skylar to do.  Think play-doh, coloring, lots of sensory activities, and lots of books. While unpacking the new house, I was able to organize all the toys and books into "just for fun, downtime, living room or her bedroom" toys, as well as "tot school, somewhat educational, tot school space" toys.  The toys and books we have organized for school are not things she will play with all the time, just during "school" time.  In my next post I'll share a picture of my set up, as well as some of the activities we've already done.  I've really enjoyed the planning and set up so far, (it's the preschool teacher in me, it's just something I love doing!), and I am so excited to really get going!

My hope with Tot School is that our girl will learn something and have fun. I am trying hard to be as relaxed and simple as possible.  There are going to be days we aren't going to get to the activities. There are going to be activities that fail. There are going to be moments when Sky just can't deal with whatever it is we are doing. There are going to be times when we want to get out and do something instead of staying home. I have a loose plan of doing "school" after her afternoon nap every day, but even today we did some things early this morning because we had time and I needed to keep her awake.  All of that is totally fine. If there's one thing I learned while teaching preschool, it's FLEXIBILITY in learning.  That's the beauty of home learning/homeschool in my opinion, the ability to be completely flexible and do whatever works for us.  Obviously if we are successful and want to continue this beyond preschool things will have to get more structured and school-like, but for now, it's all about the play and fun! She is only 1 after all. :)

I am looking forward to sharing this journey with all of you, and hope to do weekly posts on this, (I 've said this before, lets hope I can actually do it this time) so stay tuned!

1 comment:

  1. How exciting! Some of my sweetest memories have been during school time with each of our kiddos. I agree with you that it REALLY helps those long days home with kiddos (especially cold, winter days or long rainy days!) It won't take long at all for Sky to know that it's School Time! Owen is 21 months and goes to his school area every day at the same time. He gets angry on Saturdays when we don't do school! Happy Learning!

    ReplyDelete