Thursday, November 14, 2013

Throwback Thursday: Building our first home

I've decided to make Throwback Thursdays a regular thing on my blog.  I think it will keep me writing, and I can blog about things that have been going on the last 2 years.

Today's Throwback Thursday is about building our new house! We have lived here for 9 months now and absolutely love it.  But let's start at the beginning.

Around September of last year we started thinking about our next move.  We were living in an apartment, which was nice enough, but we knew it wasn't a permanent thing, and we knew that at some point we would live in a house.  We started looking around on Zillow, and did a few driving trips through the areas we were interested in, but nothing seriously caught our interest.  We didn't even really know what our budget was, we just had rough estimates based on what our chief financial advisor Dave Ramsey said we could afford. (We love Dave Ramsey and use his methods for all of our financials.  I'll blog about it one of these days). We really wanted to live in Zionsville, where I worked, and while the existing homes were beautiful, they were way out of our potential price range. One Sunday we did a "tour of homes".  I put that in quotes because I would not have called it that, basically it was a map of all the area model homes and builders.  We drove around to each one though, and I think that is when we started thinking about building a home.  Many of the builders we looked at seemed great, but we could tell quality wasn't there with all of them. (If you jump on the floor upstairs and the whole house moves--scratch that builder off the list).  We also noticed that most of the builders in neighborhoods had the same styles/floorplans. We went to a lot of places, and by the end they all ran together and I think we left feeling a little deflated about the choices, but liking the idea that there were choices.

We kept thinking about building for a few weeks, discussing it, pros and cons, etc., and then Ben remembered a builder that we had seen but not looked at.  I didn't even really remember this place, but I drove over on my lunch break one day, (it was 6 minutes from my job...huge plus!), and liked what I saw.  Later that week we went there, saw the model, saw the options, saw the land, and really really liked what we saw.  Then, Ben lost his job.  His race team cut most of their people, (I guess they couldn't afford the off season).  I thought all hope was lost on building a house, but we continued to stay in touch with the sales person, (who was awesome and I want to be her...), and when Ben got hired onto a new race team about 3 weeks later, for significantly more money than he was making before, we decided to go for it.

There were 2 floor plans that we really really liked, and we had kind of a hard time choosing. We definitely liked 1 more than the other though.  In the end, the deciding factor was the lot that we wanted.  According to the developer, there was only one floor plan that would fit on the lot,  and it was our second choice.  We knew this lot would be worth it though, so in early November last year we put down earnest money and signed a purchase agreement! That was a scary/really exciting day!
 This is one of my favorite pictures ever.

Our lot! 
It's so funny to look back on these pictures now, there are way more houses around these days!

On November 30, 2012, they broke ground on our new home.  I drove to the house on my lunch break nearly every day of the build, and I'm really glad I did that.  Sometimes things wouldn't happen for a few days or a week, and that got stressful, but when things did happen, it was super exciting!
 We had a bit of a pond for a while.

Then the basement walls went up!

I was standing at the end of the "driveway" when I took this picture.

We went to Florida for Christmas and while we were gone, they started putting up walls! This was amazing because there was a huge snowstorm, but those guys, they did not care!
Walls!

We went to the house on New Year's Day, assuming it was a holiday, it was snowing and about 20 degrees, surely there wouldn't be anyone working. We were wrong.

We watched them put up our bedroom walls in about 15 minutes. That was cool!

The day they put the roof on was a great day, it started looking like a house!

I have to say, I have a ton of respect for the men who worked on our house.  It didn't matter that there was a foot of snow on the ground, single digit wind chills, they were there and working all the time.  We were concerned about building in the winter, but our fears were unfounded, they finished right on time.  On February 28, 2013, we closed on our brand new home! (If you are keeping track that's less than 3 months. Amazing.)  We didn't have a yard when we closed, which was frustrating, but..it was still winter after all, and we lived.  Here's a few more pictures from the process.  
Windows and garage doors!

Then the siding went on!

This was a day or 2 before closed..

Ahh, the keys! What a great feeling!

Moving day was March 2nd, 2013. (2 days before my birthday!) My parents and sister, and Ben's parents all came to help out.  It was a great day other than the fact that it was FREEZING! (Are you seeing a trend here?) Morgan and I went to supervise the delivery of the refrigerator and the painters while everyone else loaded the truck.  Oh...and after the truck was completely loaded it wouldn't start..that was awesome..
Here's my dear sister, waiting for the refrigerator to be delivered.

Trying to figure out why the truck won't start...
We ended up calling a truck maintenance/towing company, and waited around for them for about an hour, praying we wouldn't have to unload it again..

About the time the tow truck was pulling up, my mother-in-law went to try the truck 1 more time, and surprise! It fired right up.  The rest of the move went off without a hitch. :)

We got a yard eventually, bad news is they just tore it up again! More on that later.  I'll end it with this picture of our finished house!



1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful house! We are also a "Dave" Family and LOVE following God's will for our family to be mindful of what the Lord has given us. Praying for you all to continue "to live like no one else so later you can live like no one else!" :)

    ReplyDelete