Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Pioneer Woman Wednesday #3!

I missed PWW the last few weeks because of the road trip and it's posts, so here's Pioneer Woman Wednesday number 3!


Today's Pioneer Woman Wednesday is her Fettucine Alfredo.  This is probably the easiest alfredo recipe I've ever made, and I've made a lot of them.  It doesn't even really seem like an alfredo recipe, because there are just so few ingredients. Sadly, I don't have any pictures of this recipe, but maybe when I make it again I will add some to this post!

After reading her recipe again I've realized I've been doing it slightly differently than she calls for, but it works just the same.

First, I melt 1/2 stick of butter (hers calls for a full stick, but I really don't need that much for just the 2 of us!), into 1/2 cup of heavy cream.  (PS this recipe is not high on the healthy foods list..).  As long as the butter and cream are equal parts, I think this can be adjusted for any serving size.  I add a dash of pepper and some salt to it, and that's it for the sauce.  I've made this recipe at least 5 times now, and every dag-gum time (currently listening to Farmer's Daughter by Rodney Atkins, I apologize for it's influence on my vocab. J/k. #sorrynotsorry), I make the sauce way too fast and have to wait 10 minutes for the pasta to cook.  It doesn't seem to matter, as long as I keep stirring the sauce every now and then.

Once the pasta is cooked, I stray from her recipe just slightly. I don't measure out the parmesan, but I put in enough to cover the bottom of the bowl. Then I pour in the drained pasta. Then I pour the sauce over the top and toss with tongs, as the recipe says.  I put more parmesan on top, and mix it again.  Ben and I add more parmesan to our individual bowls if we think it needs it.  Then it's time to dig in!  This dish is SO yum, and SO quick and easy!

Overall impression of this recipe: EASY and delicious. I make it about every other week. I also love that it is versatile, you could use organic heavy cream* (see my note below about this) to make it healthier, or maybe a healthier butter, and you can definitely use any type of pasta you have around.  Whole wheat, gluten free, whatever.

Challenges: There aren't any, except maybe being patient and not making the sauce too soon before the pasta is cooked.  Have I mentioned in this blog that I am impatient?  It's a problem.

Things I will change next time: The only thing I would do differently is to add something to it. Maybe chicken? Or peas? Or bacon? Or all of the above. That would be awesome actually, chicken, bacon, and peas with alfredo.  Mmmm mmm. I might even use prosciutto because it gets so crispy and is very yummy in pasta. (I know about prosciutto because I also love Giada de Laurentis. I love the way she says prosciutto-and a ton of other words- with the Italian pronunciation.)

Do I recommend this recipe?  Yeah! Especially if it is a night when you are super busy and need something quick and filling, or for company!



*I used organic heavy cream last time I made this....it tasted fine, but when I opened the carton, there was a solid block of cream.  Does anyone know why? Is it the organic thing? Was it in the fridge too long? It wasn't expired, and there was liquid cream under the solid block, which is what I used.  I tasted a bit of it and it tasted fine, and the recipe turned out fine. Idk why it was solid, but it was super weird!

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment